Enrolled Agent (EA) Certification
What is Enrolled Agent Certification?
It is a credential that summons up n authorized practitioner to deal taxation. E.A. is co-sponsored by US Department of Treasury. Dragging towards its background, it was established in July7, 1884. Enrolled Agents are the America’s tax experts and federally licensed practitioners who qualify in taxation before IRS (Internal Revenue Service).
How to Become an Enrolled Agent?
In order to attain the credential, follow certain criteria:
- To pass a comprehensive examination with all aspects like PTIN (Prepare Tax Identification Number) and SEE (Special Enrollment Examination)
- Five years of experience of applying taxcode at IRS.
In order to get appeared for exam, SEE (Special Enrollment Examination) is required which covers three sections: Individuals, Businesses and (Representation, Practices and procedures).
- Exam will be of 150 to 200 Minutes.
- Visit Prometric to see study materials and tutorials prometric.com/irs
- For preparation, GLEIM’s EA Review and EA (Fast Forward Academy) is abest material to grasp.
How to get registered or schedule my Exam?
To get registered, Prometric is the co-partner of IRS which offers several steps to be followed in order to pass SEE exam:
- Login at irs.gov
- In case of facing any difficulty, register via telephone at 1-800-306-3926.
- Scheduling dates are May 1, 2014 till February 28, 2015 as there will be no exam during March and April 2015.
- In case of failure, a candidate is supposed to schedule for exam again.
EA’s certification is offered globally with its testing fee of $101 per part, gives an aggregative of amount of $303 of all parts.
- To reschedule, $35 is charged and rescheduling must be done within 25 days before exam.
How to Submit the Payment?
IRS offers several methods for payment. Such as:
- A taxpayer may use Debit card.
- IRS itself offers secure method of Direct Pay.
- Tax payer may Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (In this method, enrollment is a required).
How to maintain Enrolled Agent Status?
In order to maintain renewal, follow certain steps:
- To get renewal, a candidate has to complete 72 hours of Continuing Professional Education (CPE).
- Renewal is based on last digit of SSN (Special Security Number) and done every three years.
- Go online via pay.gov
- To renew PTIN, click irs.gov and renew every year from October 16 to December 31.
Contact Details: In case of alteration in contact information, do notify with complete tax identification number, new information and date at:
- Office of Practitioner Enrollment
- O. Box 33968
- Detroit, MI, 48232
- Fax no: (313) 234-1622