How can I start research in Computer Science?
Several steps can be followed for starting research in computer science.
1) Select a paper from latest 3 years from the following conferences or journals which are in your area of interest after reading atleast abstracts of 10 papers. Please try to select paper from Level 1 and Level 2 Conferences in case of conferences.
The particulars of conferences and journals of our interest with levels, here levels just mean our ranking for the conferences. Focus on the specific research area conferences or journals while starting literature review is very important.
(SIGKDD 1, ICDM 2, SDM 2, PKDD2, WSDM 2, AusDM 3, PAKDD 3, ADMA 4)
-> Machine Learning
(ICML 1, NIPS 1, AISTATS 1, ECML 2)
-> Artificial Intelligence
(AAAI 1, IJCAI 1, UAI 1, ECAI 2, WI 3)
-> Information Retrieval
(SIGIR 1, ECIR 2)
-> World Wide Web
(WWW 1, CIKM 2, ApWeb 3, WAIM 3)
-> Digital Libraries
(JCDL 1, ICWSM 2)
-> Knowledge Engineering
(ICDE 1, CIKM 2, KR 2)
(SIGMOD/PODS 1, CIDR 1, VLDB 1, DASFAA 2, DAWAK 3, DEXA 3, IDEAS 3)
-> Semantic Web
(ISWC 1, ESWC 2, ASWC 3)
-> Natural Language Processing
(ACL/Coling 1, COLT 1, EMNLP, EACL 2, IJCNLP 3)
-> Image Processing
(CVPR 1, ICCV 1, ECCV 2, ICIP 2, ACCV 3, IAPR 3, ICPR 3)
BIBE, ISMB, ECCB
Science Citation Index (SCI)
JMLR, Journal of Web Semantics, Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery, TKDE, TKDD, WWW, DKE, Information Retrieval, Social Networks, Machine Learning Journal, ISJ, TOIS, JAIR, IEEE Intelligent Systems, IEEE TPAMI, Knowledge Based Systems, Journal of Classification, KAIS, Applied Intelligence, Journal of Intelligent Systems, Journal on Data Semantics, TCBB
Engineering Index (EI)
FCS in China, Web Intelligence and Agent Systems
2) Try to read this paper again and again and also try to understand, what are the problems discussed in this paper about previous work usually stated in related work section. After reading paper first time Make two files a) English Vocabulary b) Terms Vocabulary for the words and terms you read in paper and are not able to understand using English dictionary and Wikipedia, respectively. (Update these files for each paper)
3) Finally make a 20-30 slides presentation for that paper which will be pre step for proposal making.
4) You also need to see which previous papers work this paper has criticized. There will be 3-5 papers at least which will be basis for this paper. So you must prepare those 5 papers presentations also after reading them again and again. You can also make a concept map to see how that work on that specific topic attracted researcher’s community.
5) But first just make presentation of first or main focus paper and present it. Discuss about its problems and the problems of previous paper on which this paper was based to make your problem statement.
6) Once you have made problem statement now you have to provide a solution to solve that problem in the form of algorithm.
7) Finally you need to specify the experimental setup and performance evaluation measures which will be used to evaluate the existing and your proposed method(s).
Note: Please comment about the usefulness of aforementioned content. We will be considering comments to improve the quality of our post in order to make it more useful.